Temple Newsam

   

 

 

 

 

On the eastern edge of Leeds lies the ancient estate of Temple Newsam, now a Tudor Jacobean mansion with gardens landscaped by Capability Brown, and known as “the Hampton Court of the North.”

 

The estate dates back to Anglo Saxon times, and was given to Ilbert de Lacy following the Norman conquest.

 

Like many rich properties, it was donated to the Templar Knights in 1155, but following their suppression was seized back.

 

A Tudor house was built in the early 16th century, and was given by Henry VIII to his niece the Countess of Lennox, who’s son, Lord Darnley married Mary Queen of Scots causing it to be seized once again by the Protestant Crown.

 

During the following three centuries the house passed through several families, the Lennox’s holding it from 1603 until 1622 when it was sold to the Inghams who were responsible for the Jacobean extensions to the existing buildings.

 

The Inghams became the Viscounts Irvine, and the 9th Viscount, Charles had the gardens and parkland landscaped by Capability Brown. The Inghams kept their Royal connection by their daughter being mistress to the Prince of Wales (George IV.)

 

The Ingram’s finally passed on the estate to their nephew the Earl of Halifax in 1904, after considerable redevelopment, but following pressure by Leeds Corporation of compulsory land and mining rites purchases, he eventually buckled and sold out to the Corporation.

 

 

 

Britain Tour

   

Temple Newsam House

 

The Old Stables

 

The Stable Courtyard

 

The Little Temple