Lindos

Rhodes Island

 

 

The town of Lindos lies on the east coast of the island of Rhodes, some 30 miles south of Rhodes Town, and is easily reached by boat from Mandraki Harbour. It is situated in a large bay across from the fishing village of Haraki, and being sheltered by mountains tends to be several degrees hotter.

 

From its anchorage and pristine beach the picturesque village rises steeply, built into the hillside and stretching up to the natural pinnacle of the acropolis high above the town. Its quaint narrow streets can be quite hectic with donkeys! which are used, generally by idle fat Germans, to transport tourists up to the top. The donkeys are then slapped and a herd runs down the hill unaccompanied, in the hope of getting a drink at the bottom. This is quite unnerving when you are walking up!

 

Founded by King Tlepolemus of the Dorians about 1000 BCE as one of their Hexapolis, Lindos was the major city of Rhodes for five centuries before Rhodes Town was built. The acropolis was dominated by the massive Temple of Athena Lindia which dates to before 300 BCE, the Doric temple with massive staircase leading to the sanctuary replacing an earlier one.

 

During Roman times there was a lot of building on the site including a temple dedicated to Emperor Diocletian, built about 300 CE, but it was the Knights of the Order of St John who have made the archaeological details hard to comprehend, when they built their huge castle on the older Byzantine foundations destroying much of the older work.

 

When the island became occupied by the Italians in 1912 the acropolis, like many of Greeks historic monuments, was subjected to excavation and renovating by the invaders in an attempt to revive the glory of Imperial Rome. Unfortunately proper records of the work were not kept, and some of the renovation was poor quality or inaccurate, leaving a complete blank regarding many of the features exposed or hidden.

 

 

Lindos Bay

 

Lindos Beach

 

The Acropolis and Crusader Fort

 

Temple of Athena

 

Courtyard

 

 

Greek Islands