Golden Acre Park
The park, which opened to the public in 1932 as a large amusement park, comprises of woodland, heath and cultivated gardens, built around the old Black hill dam, formed by damming Adel Beck.
In the parks hey day there were rowing boats and motor launches sailing on the lake whilst music played from a tower at itís centre. A miniature railway, on which engines ran on a track over a mile in length around the park transported visitors around, and an open air swimming pool, the Blue Lagoon was a popular feature.
Closing in 1938, the park lay derelict until purchased by Leeds City Council in 1945.
The lake is still central to the park's appeal, being home to an assortment of waterfowl: swans; geese; ducks; coots; grebes; herons and the odd kingfisher, and a new bird feeding shelter has been built for the benefit of visitors.
Visitors are also provided with a cafe and picnic facilities, but the true value of the park is the diversity of the natural habitats surrounding the lake.
The lake is edged by reed and wet meadow, with stretches of heath land, and shaded woodland walks through azaleas and rhododendrons, where the natural flora is left to it's own devices, inhabited by squirrels, rabbits and foxes, and if you are lucky the odd deer.
Apart from the informal gardens there are also greenhouse and demonstration beds hosting several of the special National Collections of plants associated with the park, for which it has won horticultural awards.
The well looked after park is constantly changing, but you can be assured of a pleasant day here.
The car parking is at the other side of the main Otley road, accessed by an underpass, and adjacent is the Breary Marsh Nature Reserve a conservation area of marsh and willow on the upstream of Adel Beck. However at this time (2009) the wooden walkways over the marsh are in need of repair, and the walk is closed to the public.
Bird Feeding Station
The "Newer" Bridge on Adel Dam
The Packhorse Bridge is Behind
Flora and Fauna